Modern improvements to Mauna Kea Golf Course by the original designer’s son, Rees Jones, have kept the original character intact while opening up challenging and memorable play on the Big Island of Hawai’i to players of any level.
Grass: High-efficiency ultra-dwarf Tifeagle Bermuda Grass on the greens. Tifway 419 hybrid Bermuda Grass on the tees, fairways and roughs.
Environment: State-of-the-art irrigation, bunker liners and advanced drainage techniques.
Play: Bunkers increased to 99, overall yardages expanded by 200 yards from the tips, and multiple tees challenge all levels. On-board GPS in all golf carts helps determine yardages and distance to hole.
GolfBoards: Innovative GolfBoards offer a fun way to carve through a round in record time. Golfers and accompanying non-golfers 16 years and up can surf the earth on these Laird Hamilton-designed boards.
Pro Shop: State-of-the-art golf equipment, designer attire and accessories, logo gifts and golf items. Drop off golf shoes for cleaning, sign up for lessons or simply relax and talk golf with our attentive staff.
– Golf Week Magazine, Best Courses You Can Play, #4 in Hawaii, 2017
– Golf Digest, America’s 100 Greatest Public Golf Courses, 2009-2016
– Golf Magazine, Top 100 Courses You Can Play, (#32) 2016
– Golf Magazine, Top 100 Courses; Best Courses in Hawaii, 2009, 2010, 2012-2016 (#2 in the State)
– Andrew Harper Reader’s Choice—#11 World’s Top 20 Golf Resorts, 2015
– Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, 2014, 2015
– Golf Week Magazine, Best Courses You Can Play, 2014-15
– Golf Magazine, Silver Award, People’s Choice Vote 2012, 2014-2015
– Golf Events Magazine – Most Scenic Hole – Number 11, 2014
– AGM Platinum Award “best of the best” Mauna Kea Golf Shop, 2013-2015
– Golf Week Magazine Top 100 Best Resort Courses, 2009-2015
– Hawai’i Magazine, Best Golf Course, Readers Choice Awards, 2013
– Rolex, World’s Top 1000 Courses; Hawaii, 2012
– Conde Nast Traveler, Top 121 Golf Resorts in the World, Reader Poll, 2012
– Conde Nast Traveler, Top 15 Hawaii Golf Resorts, Reader Poll, 2012
– Celebrated Living, Platinum List, Top 20 Golf Courses, 2011, 2012
– Visa Black Card Mag, Top 10 Resort Courses in America, 2012
– Links Magazine, The Best of Golf, Best Surf & Turf: The Top 10 Golf & Beach Combos, 2012
– Celebrated Living, Platinum Golf List, Top 20 U.S. Golf Courses, 2012
– Fairways & Greens, Best of Everything Issue, Favorite Places to Stay, 2009, 2010, 2012
|Address||62-100 Mauna Kea Beach Dr, Waimea, HI 96743|
|Aeration||2022 : 9/6-7 (recovery 9/8-21)|
|Age Minimum||Players: 6 years old ; Riders: 6 years old|
|Player Minimum||2 Players|
(subject to change by golf course.)
|Architect||Robert Trent Jones Sr.|
|Grass||Fairways: Tifway; Greens: Tifeagle|
|Golf Carts||Cart access to all fairways.
(Cart access may be restricted due to weather or maintenance)
|Dress Code||Proper golf attire – collared shirts only; no jeans (or denim) allowed.|
|Shoes||Soft spikes only|